The Victoria Police Pipe Band was formed in 1936 by a small group of dedicated Police members who received some financial assistance from a Mr. W.E. McPherson. In recognition of his generosity, the Band proudly wears the McPherson tartan. From 1936 to 1987 members were mainly recruited from dedicated operational police; they performed with the Band on a part-time basis. In 1987 the Band began its quest for the holy-grail of piping - to become the ‘Champions of the World’.